Saturday 21 November 2009

A November Strawberry Shortcake

If there's one tried and true method of ingratiating/endearing yourself to others, it is to make them dessert. I mean, who doesn't like the cake-bearer? In that vein, I have spent the morning baking a strawberry shortcake. Actually, truth be told, I just like baking stuff and giving it away.

Over at the Food Network, Anna Olson has a fantastic, if not at all traditional, recipe for strawberry shortcake. I've made it about a million times in the last year (Japanese people really like shortcake), and it is divine. Even in my dinky little oven, it cooks up pretty nicely.

Of course, it wouldn't be a Me-cake if I didn't run into some form of obstacle. Today's was that the one cake (stupid 9" cake pan!) came out very, very thin. As I had been planning on doing two one-layer cakes, the thickness was more important than ever. What to do??

Well, it ended up being one double layer-cake. *sigh* H says we'll just all eat the one cake together rather than separately. Not a huge difference, but still. 


I had some chocolate ganache left over from a cake I baked the other day, so I put that down as a thin layer on top of the first cake. Then came whipped cream, the second layer with more whipped cream, and the strawberries. It looks delicious - here's hoping it is delicious.


Oh, as a side note. My hope is to have a lot of cake entries on this blog, and to get your opinion on which looks best. I think I'd like to bake my own wedding cake, you see, so I'm going to have to try out a bunch of different recipes over the next few months. Next up, a really cool-looking cake from the ladies at Mennonite Girls Can Cook. I'm thinking this one. Those flowers? Pineapple slices! I know, crazy! When I get a chance to make it, I'll add some pics.



              Tiny Oven         Just Right        Too Small            Not Bad


Ever see such a little oven? It can roast a small chicken, nothing bigger. And it is seriously a microwave/oven. Compact, yes, but if you want to heat up some butter for a recipe, or anything else for that matter, while you're using the oven, you're outta luck. It also has a tendency to burn the tops of cakes... Oh well, I still love it.


1 comment:

  1. What great timing! Nobuaki wants me to bake him a strawberry shortcake for his birthday. I now don't have to worry about finding a good recipe and I know who to go to for advice.
    Two thumbs up! d(^O^)b

    ReplyDelete