Saturday 17 July 2010

Summertime in the City - Escape on a Bicycle

I like to pretend that there aren't many things which I fear, but the truth is, there are plenty. Spiders, centipedes that bite, excessive speed while riding in cars, the liver eating guy from the X-Files (even though he's not real...I think)...well, you get the idea. A few years ago, much to my chagrin, I had to add another to the list: cycling in Tokyo.

I decided, though, to give it another go, after moving to a more western and less traffic-filled area of Tokyo last year. However, procrastination and nerves kept me out of the saddle until just last week.  Partially motivated by H.'s assertions that I was leaving my bike to rust (which he had very kindly fixed up for me on two separate occasions), I hauled out my Tokyo maps and figured out how to get from my apartment to the Tama River Cycling Path (not to be confused with the Tama Lake Cycling Path).


I had made one other trip along the Tama River. Several years ago, after I moved to Yoyogi from Ogikubo, I had to get my bike to my new place. Trial and error (and my trusty maps) got me there, but I had to head towards the ocean and Haneda Airport on that occasion (and then had to bike up through Shinagawa, Shibuya and Harajuku - not fun!). This time, I headed towards the mountains, very, very hazy in the distance. 


Despite some super-speedy cyclists who seem to have a hate-on for anyone who can't go as fast as they can (and pass, from the oncoming direction, at the most inopportune times), and scads of baseball-playing youth who weave all over the place on their little mama-chari bikes overflowing with equipment, the Tama River path makes for some nice cycling. I've been out twice, the first time going a bit further than Yotsuya Go-Chome (not the one in central Tokyo), and then this morning making it to Fussa-shi in Mizudori Park (round-trip=50km give or take) out Musashi-Itsukaichi way. By the end, it was greenery galore and, I'll wager, a degree or two cooler than the rest of the path. Pure joy! And the even better part is, I wasn't scared at all. Boo yeah!


           
Picture Ids, top to bottom: imitation Tokyo Tower en-route to the path; the Tama River; fishermen (well, fishing poles) on the Tama River; inflatable canoes under a bridge; city rice farming plus rice farmer, blue tarp teepees in Nogawa Park, spotted on my way home



No comments:

Post a Comment