Monday 14 March 2011

Earthquake! Part 4

Well, Tokyo is getting back to normal, or at least it's trying. Due to the energy shortage, however, trains are either cancelled or running reduced schedules, making for some very long waits. There are also scheduled blackouts in various areas. We had two scheduled for today, but they were both cancelled, which was nice. The threat of blackouts, however, has people buying food like you wouldn't believe. Most stores are out of rice and water, among other things. Our little supermarket was also out of bread products - feel free to dine on jam, though, there's still plenty of that - instant ramen, and, of all things, spaghetti. The Japanese aren't fans of other kinds of pasta, so there's still plenty of shell, macaroni, etc. This works for me. I'M SO TIRED OF SPAGHETTI!

I was planning on heading to work today, but H. requested that I stay home. Our train line was running, but reduced, and the crush was expected to be enormous. From what I've heard and seen, there were massive lines that took hours and hours. The same is expected for tomorrow... Yeech, I am definitely not looking forward to it. It almost makes me wish I lived along one of the train lines that isn't running.

The aftershocks continue, but there haven't been too many that we've been able to feel in Tokyo. The only one that stands out happened this morning while we were talking to my parents. I think it was a 5.-something, with its epicentre in Fukushima. They have a neat little ringing noise that they play on the news and radio to warn people. Of course, hearing it doesn't always mean things are going to start shaking, but still, it gives one time to fasten one's bicycle helmet (I am likely the only person who does this...).

Anyway, here are some photos, taken by iPhone.

This doesn't do the crowds justice.
 
Friday's walk. One of two damaged buildings.
Would you like some jam with your... jam?   

1 comment:

  1. People in the floods here were basically given the week off even if they could make it in to work. The local government didn't want to run the risk of people being stranded from their home by water rising and covering roads. That would mean even more people taking refuge in the evacuation centre in town. I wonder why so many Tokyo people are keen to go back to work? Their company provides essential services? There is no way in hell I would be going through all that public transport nightmare to teach an esl lesson! My sister as a nurse, however, didn't miss one shift.

    ReplyDelete