Saturday 19 March 2011

The Escape: Part 2

I got to Narita, and just as they were reporting, it was a madhouse. I nervously asked Information where I would be able to find Immigration and was told to go to the fourth floor of the south wing. Sure enough, there was a table there, being swarmed by foreigners, manned by three or so immigration officials. 

"Excuse me, I have my revenue stamp, but I don't have my re-entry permit. I tried this morning, but by 10am, Tachikawa's office was already over."

"Eeeeehhh---? Well, okay, you need to fill this in. Then take it to immigration when you are boarding and they will fill it out. Make sure you go early!"

I filled in the form over lunch (first lunch - there would be two more) and noticed that there was an extra page. 

"The Immigration Office does not give re-entry permits at the airport. We are, however, making an exception JUST THIS ONCE. Your signature means that you will never again attempt to get a re-entry permit at the airport," was the gist of the form. Annoyed, I signed anyway. I had TRIED to do things the right way. It wasn't my fault if Immigration decided to close an hour after they opened. I told three or so immigration officials this, but no one cared. Next disaster, it seems I'll be out of luck.


The wait was about thirty minutes to get the permit processed at Narita immigration. It was chaos. People had no idea what line in which to stand, or what forms they needed. The staff was doing its best, I believe, but they were overwhelmed. Luckily, airport staff is a heck of a lot nicer and more efficient in Japan than they are in Canada (my apologies to decent airport staff members in Canada, but from my experience, you are few and far between), so the experience wasn't as bad as it might have been. I'm just happy I got my permit.


The flight was packed full. I had an annoying experience at the start, but that was my own fault for not being strong-willed enough. There was more turbulence than I'm used to, which had me gripping the seat and thinking "great, I left Tokyo only to be killed in a plane crash," but, happily, it didn't come to that.


Now, I'm home, safe and sound, for two weeks. Sure, it's nice, but I hate not knowing what's actually going on. I read things like "iodine found in Tokyo drinking water" and start to panic. I hate being separated from my husband. It's unpleasant, but I guess it is best. Three arms might be useful for a child, but the bullying would likely be terrible, I suppose. *sigh* I'll just hope things get better and I can go home in two weeks as planned.


Thank you to all who have been keeping up with me here and sending messages of concern. It's been much appreciated. I'll let you know how Tokyo is doing once I get back home.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering what immigration would be like during a natural disaster. It is awful at the best of times.

    ReplyDelete