Saturday 21 November 2009

Getting Ready for the Next Step

When in Rome, do as the Romans. When in Japan, get married as the Japanese. Well, get married as they used to get married, at least. You know, before all the Magic Kingdom nonsense threw decency to the wind and every grown-up little girl needed to have her (bankruptcy inducing) day as a princess. What the Japanese have managed to do to the western-style wedding is truly something.

I, however, have different plans. For years now, I've had dreams of an odd wedding day (hello, pot-luck!), but getting hitched to a Japanese fellow means that I get to make my day (actually, TWO days), even more interesting. Well, the first day, at least. H (the fiancé) and I are going to be married in a traditional Shinto ceremony. That means shiromuku (a white wedding kimono) for me and a montsuki (a black, formal kimono), hakama and haori for H (among other odds and ends of formal Japanese clothing). But the best part is the hat/hood I get to wear. It's big, white and is designed to cover my horns of jealousy. It is the tsuno kakushi. Of course, I've read that it's also supposed to 'prove [my] obedience to [my] husband', but well, we'll see about that...

Anyway, after taking a look at the two different styles of tsuno kakushi, which do you think would best suit a strawberry blond?   

No comments:

Post a Comment