Friday 20 November 2009

A Glimpse into the Mind of a Tokyo Newbie

I wrote this a month after coming to Tokyo. It pretty much sums up how I felt back then, riding trains to and from work in a city that just never seemed to end. While I am quite a bit more literate in Japanese than I was back then, I still find myself drowning in kanji on a regular basis.

Ode to Tokyo


Strange days in a
          Tokyo haze
Cars far too big for the narrow streets
speed by me
As I sit staring out the train window at the bright lights of a city so huge,
          So foreign, so hard to believe...
                                                       Is real...
I'm really here in this crazy
                                     trippy
                                            world
          of manga and Keropi ~
Hello Kitty greets me from every angle
Every surface covered in flourescent flashing
                                                               "Buy This!"
                                                               "Buy That!"
I can't read what it says,
But I get the gist...
                           It's all the same, no matter where you go,
                                                   but different.
Hiragana, katakana, kanji ~ all sprinkled together like one big bowl of Alphabet Soup,
                     but it's bizarro Alphabet Soup that I can't read...
Illiterate, everywhere I look is something else I can't read...
              But even if I could, would I understand?
This culture shock, shocks the system, culture walk into the Land of Oz...
         Odds and ends that don't match ~
                  East meets west, old and new, grey and seizure-causing colours make up this crazy city known as Tokyo
             Bright lights in a haze of starry night...
                                     This is Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment